Another month went by already! It really feels like November now with the freezing cold weather, frosty mornings, and Christmas shit appearing in shops. Soz for mentioning the C-word! Don't worry, there are no C-word related links below 😉
- Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World - I've loved Rachel Ignotofsky's illustrations for a while now, especially the women in science posters. Now she's brought out a book of women in science with and I'm dying for it!
- Here’s The Real Origin Of The Word ‘Yas’ - everyone is using the word, even intersectional feminists, but you might want to know it's origin before using it. "...the word “yas” actually originated with the queer POC (people of colour) community circa the late 1980s".
- The Fascinating Story Of Rosalind Franklin, The Unsung Hero Of DNA - since reading The Dark Lady of DNA about Franklin's life I've felt so drawn to her! Take the time to learn about her if you haven't already.
- 5 Common Behaviors Cis Men May Not Realise Are Abusive (And How to Stop Them) - this is a really helpful article and I urge any cis men reading this, to read this! And any women to send it to their partners or men they know. Share it, it's important.
- Vegan diets for children aren’t abusive – raising a child to eat meat is actually more extreme - I really think children should know what they are eating, how is informing them and raising them to make compassionate choices abusive? If you're hiding the truth about animal agriculture and how the animals are killed, surely that is more manipulative...
- Māori Women Talk About Their Sacred Chin Tattoos - I learnt something new from this! You might not know about it either.
- 'Black Mirror's Gay Love Story In "San Junipero" Is The Best Romance Of 2016 - SPOILERS! If you haven't watched Black Mirror you need to do that now, skip the first few episodes if it's not your thing, but damn, this is the most heartwarming/breaking story ever. I was in bits after watching this! In a good way!
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is The Ultimate Winter Beverage - 'cos the weather has suddenly turned freeeeezing and I love hot alcoholic drinks! I had my first mulled cider of the year whilst watching fireworks last week! I can't wait to try this one, and Baileys offer a vegan option now too!
- 'Abortion Saved My Life': The Activist Who Shields Women from Clinic Protesters - this woman is great, we need more people like Michelle in the world. Anti-abortion campaigners have been turning more violent and aggressive over the years, which has carried over from the US to the UK, and in Ireland, abortion rights are severely limited.
Let us know in the comments if you've read anything good lately! Or leave a link to your fave blog post of the week.