I've had a pretty shit couple of weeks but have somehow managed to come out the other side in one piece. Things still aren't quite the same but there are ways of dealing with that, which I thought I'd share here seeing as my blogging has taken a skydive thanks to this.
1. Don't blame yourself. It might take a while for this thought to break through but it kind of makes things easier in a way. Sometimes shit just happens and there's nothing we could have done to prevent it.
2. Let yourself cry. I cry ALL THE TIME. I mean all the time, and even more over the last couple of weeks. I've cried in coffee shops, in parks, at friends houses, in lectures, in bed, you name it I've cried there!
3. Sleep a lot. Crying makes you exhausted, and when you're that emotional you just feel drained. Sleeping is the good bit where you don't think about anything and get a bit of time to refresh.
4. Confide in trusted friends. Make sure you choose these trusted friends wisely though. I luckily have a couple of very close friends I know I can count on, one of them being a housemate of mine too! If people really care about you they will be there for you no matter what when things get this bad. Let them look after you, you can repay the favour when they need you.
5. Try to eat as normally as possible. This might be lost on some people, but for me, and others, when things are truly awful I can't eat. I just can't chew or swallow without needing to throw up (lovely details here, it's nice getting to know each other isn't it?) but it's important to try and keep energy up. And not eating puts most people in a bad mood, either sad or moody and for the last two weeks it made me even more sad.
6. Distract yourself. Spend time with people who always make you laugh. Watch your fave TV programme with your besty. Do some work (hah).
7. Ring your family, if you don't live with them, if you do they are right there you lucky thing! I rang my mam and she always has good advice and even if she doesn't, she's always sympathetic to me and wants to help.
8. Ignore the advice telling you to "forgive" anyone. That doesn't mean be horrible, you can still be civil, but forgiving someone isn't something I feel you can choose to do. It's something that might happen or it might never happen. And you can move on from things without forgiving.
9. Take a break. I went home to visit my family a few weeks back, i still feel like I could do with a week away in a deserted cottage or something where I can get some peace and quiet!
10. Read this. I'm having another bad day and was about to get very upset when I started looking at puppy things on buzzfeed. And this came up.