I used to read magazines a lot, fashion and lifestyle ones like Look or cosmo but I gradually stopped enjoying them and realised they have a hugely negative affect on my attitude.
1. I found fashion magazines expensive and yes I know they are meant to follow fashion but new weekly trends all the way down to eyeliner?! Who has time for that?! Or the money!
2. So many of the interviews with "stars" boring and generic. I'm sure many people love gossip magazines and faun over celebrities but it's just not me. I don't care who broke up with who blah blah blah.
3. Also the constant commenting on celebrities bodies. Just no. This isn't just magazines but all of society, thanks to our fucked up media of today. Which I could go on about forever but I'll save it for a separate post.
4. And the constant commenting on what people wear. The "hot or not?" pages are disgusting and make me feel ashamed of people. Really they do. People can wear what they like! So what if it's not on trend or too 70s or frumpy?! None of your bloody effing business is it.
5. The thing that bothered me the most, which I gradually realised as I grew up were the awful relationship advice pages, mostly in cosmo. I don't understand how they're written by supposedly adult and mature women. Most probably they are written by scorned and bitter women who hate all men. But as I read them as a young teen, it gave me the wrong attitude towards men! From such a young age girls are taught to not trust their boyfriends. I actually remember reading an article about cheating and looking back it was appalling! It instills such hatred into men and says you can't trust them! Come on cosmo!
Overall, I find most magazines incredibly shallow. I'm sure some people must care about this utter crap but I definitely don't. I'm far more interested in real issues, not stupid gossip. I would love to find more magazines that cover real life issues, like ocean conservation, healthy eating, maybe a style article here and there as I love reading blogs. At the moment my favourite magazine is New Scientist. Obviously that isn't for everyone though!